The Gov. Celestino Gallares Memorial Hospital (GCGMH) is dedicated to offering our patients equitable, affordable, and high-quality healthcare services while abiding all pertinent laws and encouraging the culture of kindness. In this regard, GCGMH assures that all appropriate standards for Personal Information protection is in compliance with Republic Act No. 10173 (or otherwise known as Data Privacy Act of 2012), its implementing rules and regulations and other applicable and related laws and regulations, including the issuances of the National Privacy Commission (NPC) are put in place and implemented efficiently and effectively. This statement highlights the continuous commitments of GCGMH to all Data Subjects regarding the collection, use, management, and disclosure of the Personal Information we have in our possession. This privacy notice for GCGMH’s data processing is meant to inform our Data Subjects about the types of personal data handled as well as the purposes and areas of processing. This explains how GCGMH manages personal information. The hospital’s data privacy policies are available on the GCGMH Privacy Portal, which may be accessed at https://www.gcgmh.gov.ph/privacy.
GCGMH processes Personal Information to:
- Pursue its purposes, mandates and exercise its rights, and conduct its functions as an instrumentality of the government as a healthcare service provider.
- Conduct all acts reasonably foreseeable and customarily performed by similar healthcare service providers and as mandated by DOH.
- Decide and act for the holistic welfare of patients, service recipients, and their respective representatives and companions.
- Manage and administer its internal and external affairs as a teaching- training, and research Medical Center with its own rights and obligations.
PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT ARE COLLECTED
To make sure that you receive the best possible patient care, our healthcare team, including the doctors, nurses, and other team members who are caring for you, may gather, record, use, and keep your personal information and health information in the medical records. GCGMH collects the following Personal Data:
- Basic information, such as but not limited to your name, address, date of birth, sex, religious affiliation, contact information, occupation, marital status, citizenship;
- Relevant contact information of the significant others, your relatives, guardian, or next of kin, such as address, email, mobile and telephone numbers;
- Philhealth number, SSS number, GSIS number and insurance details.
- Chief Complaint(s);
- Health Information including medical history (such as, but not limited to, date of previous admission, existing illness, medication intake), height, weight, blood type and genetic;
- Vital signs (Blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiratory rate);
- Result of x-rays, scans, laboratory tests and other diagnostic procedures;
- Other information as necessary.
In order to help us secure the safety and security of the patients, staff, and the entire hospital, our facility is also equipped with CCTV cameras in all strategic locations.
Before availing the healthcare services you are requesting, GCGMH gathers accurate and timely information on you on both electronic platforms and paper-based forms as needed by administrative offices and its clinical departments.
Numerous sources, like interviews, application forms, phone calls, e-mails, our website, and third parties, may be used to collect your personal information. However, the majority of the Personal Information we kept was voluntarily provided by you or your respective representatives. You provide us your Personal Information when you:
a. Avail of, or apply for, our services by filling out application forms or other information forms through any of our available outlets (e.g. OPD online registration, upon admission, or through our medical personnel and other affiliated service representatives);
b. Provide Personal Information to your doctors who may refer you to our hospital for your diagnosis and treatment, whether as an in-patient or out-patient;
c. Get in touch with us to ask about something, file a complaint, or request for medical certificates and other services;
d. Take part in our research and surveys;
e. Participate in various activities sponsored by the hospital or any other organization acting on our behalf, such as symposia, conferences, focus group discussions and the like; and
f. When you apply for a job with us.
TIMING OF COLLECTION
GCGMH generally collects Personal Information from Data Subjects upon entry to the hospital or at the onset of a service, or do business transaction with GCGMH, such as but not limited to medical care, medical consultation, laboratory service and other health-related services.
PURPOSES OF COLLECTED PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information is primarily gathered by GCGMH in order to provide medical services and reimbursement for such services. For the same reason, we also provide information with our clients, partners, and service providers.
By getting in touch with us in writing, you can always revoke your permission to the processing of your personal information (subject to any applicable privacy regulations). We provide below the general categories of the purposes for which we collect and process your Personal Information, to wit.
- For Medical treatment
We gather your personal information when delivering patient care and medical treatment to help us comprehend your current health status and to help us keep track of the care and other services you have gotten from the hospital. For effective and efficient communication among the healthcare team members managing your care, we keep a copy of your medical records. This will also enable continuity of care in the event that you need follow-up treatment or other medical services later on. Republic Act 10173, also known as the Data Privacy Act of 2012, allows us to maintain these records.
- For Reporting Requirements
As mandated by laws, regulations and statutory requirements, information regarding certain diseases and other problems may be submitted to the Department of Health or other agencies. Your health information may also be disclosed to the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) as required by law
- For Admission, billing, and claims processing
For the purpose of processing your hospital bill, your information may be used and disclosed to PhilHealth, social welfare agency (incl. Malasakit Center), your insurance company, Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) and employer to facilitate reimbursement of the hospital bill.
- Compliance with administrative, judicial, legal, regulatory, or statutory requirements including but not limited to audit, reporting and transparency requirements like for instance the Department of Health requires submission of relevant personal information of patients with certain non-communicable and/or communicable disease, injuries, etc., for purposes of disease surveillance and monitoring.
- For Historical, statistical, or scientific purpose.
Your information may be used to generate data that would help the hospital and our country further enhance its health services.
- Other purposes necessary for GCGMH to perform its obligations, exercise its rights, and conduct its functions as a medical, research, and training institution.
We will be obtaining an informed consent from you or your authorized representative prior to the use of your personal information for purposes other than those stated above, such as trainings, researches, and direct marketing.
STORAGE AND TRANSMISSION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The committees, offices, and units of GCGMH handle the physical and electronic data processing systems where personal information is kept. Physical documents are typically kept in drawers or shelves in folders or envelopes. Electronic documents are generally kept on servers owned or managed by GCGMH, or in cloud storage that is managed or made available by GCGMH.
Personal Information are transmitted and transferred in accordance with Data Privacy Act of 2012 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations and other applicable and related laws and regulations, including the issuances of the National Privacy Commission (NPC).
Who has access to your Personal Information.
The following will have access to your Personal Information for the purposes stated above:
a. Healthcare professionals, including, without limitation, the members of the Hospital’s medical staff, nurses, and other healthcare providers, either pursuant to an employment contract or any other approved arrangement. They will have access to your Personal Information either because they are authorized to enter information to your medical records, review or update the same.
b. All departments and units in the Hospital who will need your personal information in the performance of their functions. For example, certain treatments or procedures require that your Personal Information be shared across different departments of the Hospital.
c. Any member of a volunteer group, religious or charitable/ non-profit organization who are allowed to provide assistance in the Hospital. This includes priests, pastors or heads of other religious organizations who provide religious rites to patients or the deceased.
d. All of our employees, staff or personnel who may need access to your information in the performance of their duties. For example, our employees will access your Personal Information in order to prepare your billing statement, or your medical information will be needed for your dietary needs during your confinement.
e. All entities operating within the premises of the Hospital, including, but not limited to One Merit Global Janitorial Services (OMGJS), and PERCAB Security Services. The Hospital may share your Personal Information with these entities for the purposes stated above.
Our undertakings regarding your personal information
Pursuant to the Republic Act No. 10173 (or the Data Privacy Act of 2012), its implementing rules and regulations and other applicable and related laws and regulations, including the issuances of the National Privacy Commission (NPC), we undertake to protect your Personal Information under strict confidentiality. The Hospital creates and maintains a record of your Personal Information in its offices and this notice applies to your Personal Information that we collect. Under the DPA, the Hospital is required to protect your Personal Information, and to process the same only in accordance with the following data privacy principles:
a. Transparency: We are obligated to inform you of the nature, purpose and extent of our processing of your Personal Information, including the risks and safeguards involved, the identity of the persons involved in the processing of your personal information, your rights as data subject, and how these rights can be exercised. Information provided to a data subject must always be in clear and plain language to ensure that they are easy to understand and access.
b. Legitimate purpose: We will only process your Personal Information for a legitimate purpose, compatible with our declared and specified purpose, and not contrary to law, morals and public policy.
c. Proportionality: We will process your Personal Information as adequate, relevant, suitable, necessary and not excessive in relation to the declared and specific purpose.
When your Personal Information is no longer required for the intended purpose, we will take reasonable steps to dispose of or discard it in a secure way that won’t jeopardize your rights as a data subject or allow for further processing, unauthorized access, or disclosure to anyone else or the public. However, the majority of your personal data is already in or will be held in files that we’ll keep for the minimal amount of time required by law.
METHOD OF US
GCGMH uses Personal Information proportionately as necessary for its legitimate purposes in accordance with its hospital policies. Likewise, these Personal Information are used in accordance with the Data Privacy Act of 2012, issuances of the National Privacy Commission and the Department of Health including all statutory & regulatory requirements.
LOCATION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION & RETENTION PERIOD
The GCGMH ensures that personal information under its custody are protected against any accidental or unlawful destruction, alteration and disclosure as well as against any other unlawful processing. GCGMH implements appropriate security measures in storing collected personal and health information. All health information gathered and kept in medical records shall be retained for as long as the patient regularly seeks treatment at the institution. Hard copies of medical records shall be kept at a secure off-site facility. GCGMH retains data in accordance with its policies on retention observing laws and government rules and regulations. GCGMH store your personal information in accordance with approved period guidelines and limitations provided by the Department of Health for retention of medical records & National Archives of the Philippines.
RIGHTS OF DATA SUBJECTS
- You have the right to be informed that your personal and health information will be, are being, or were, collected and processed, including the existence of automated decision-making and profiling. You have the right to be notified of the purposes for which they will be, are being, or were processed and the period for which the information will be stored.
- You have the right to request a copy of personal and health information that we hold about you. However, if you believe that the personal information the hospital has on file about you is incorrect or incomplete, you may ask us to correct the personal information in your records. If your personal information is accurate and complete, or if the information was not created by the Hospital, we may deny your request. If we deny any part of your request, we will provide you with a written explanation of our reasons for doing so. Requests to make a correction to your records must be in writing and must describe each item that you want changed and the reason you are requesting the change. We may require additional documentation from you or your authorized representative as proof before processing your request. The medical information available to you are the following:
▪ Clinical Abstract/Discharge Summary
▪ Laboratory and other diagnostic results
▪ Record of Operation or Delivery
▪ Operative Technique
▪ Medical Certificate or Certificate of Confinement
To request for a copy of your medical records, proceed to the Health Information Management Section and fill out a Request for Medical Information. GCGMH may charge a fee for the cost of providing copies to you. Please take note that our ability to respond to your request may also depend on the circumstances regarding our collection of your Personal Information.
- You have the right to object to, or withdraw consent that may have been given for, certain processing like direct marketing, trainings, or researches.
- You have the right to suspend, withdraw, or order blocking, removal or destruction of your personal information from our filing system if you have substantial proof that your rights are violated, or that your data are incomplete, false, or unlawfully obtained; or processed for unauthorized or unlawful purpose.
- You have the right to request reasonable restrictions on certain uses or disclosures of your personal and health information. Requests for restrictions must be in writing. In most cases, we are not required to agree to your requested restriction. However, if we do agree, we will comply with your request unless the information is needed to provide you emergency treatment or comply with the law. Some examples of restriction requests that the Hospital cannot approve includes:
- Requests to restrict resident doctors from accessing your medical information.
- Requests restricting the hospital from giving your name to the social welfare agency (incl. Malasakit Center), PHIC or other insurance company that will be asked to pay a portion of your bill.
- Request restricting the hospital from reporting your identity and condition to an agency or organization where the hospital is required by law to do so. However, we may be restricted by law or regulations from giving you access to your personal information.
- You have the right to file a complaint or be indemnified for any damages sustained due to such inaccurate, incomplete, outdated, false, unlawfully obtained or unauthorized use of personal data, taking into account any violation of the rights and freedoms as data subject.
- Transmissibility of your Rights. Upon death, incapacity or incapable of exercising the rights as enumerated above, your rights may be transferred to your lawful heirs and assigns of the data subject.
Inquiries and Complaints
The confidentiality of your health information is a significant part of the care we provide to you. You can submit a written complaint or query to our GCGMH Data Privacy Office regarding issues with the processing of your protected health information or if you feel that your privacy rights have been breached through:
Gov. Celestino Gallares Memorial Hospital – Data Protection Officer
Office address: M. Parras St., Tagbilaran City, Bohol, Philippines
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: +63 38 411 4868 local 247
In case we are unable to address your concern, you have the right to lodge a complaint before the National Privacy Commission with the following contact details:
National Privacy Commission
5th Floor Delegation Building, PICC Complex, Roxas Boulevard
0945 153 4299 (Globe) | 0939 963 8715 (Smart)