VISION

A multi-specialty medical center leading in holistic healthcare and patient safety in Central Visayas by 2030.

MISSION

To deliver comprehensive quality and safe healthcare services to all.

CORE VALUES

Kindness, Relevance, Inclusiveness

QUALITY POLICY

We at GCGMH, a teaching-training and research Medical Center, shall commit to provide quality health care services that are equitable, accessible and affordable to our clients in the satisfaction of all applicable requirements embracing the culture of kindness.
We shall commit to continually improve to the effectiveness of our hospital Quality Management System towards the fulfillment of our vision and mission.

 

The Hospital Through The Years

The epidemics of smallpox and cholera in the first decade causing thousands of death in the country awakened the officials of the province to put up a hospital for fear of another epidemic.

In 1922, the Assembly of Municipal Presidents passed a resolution for the creation of a public charitable hospital which was endorsed to the Provincial Board. The late Gov. Juan S. Torralba and Board Members Miguel Oppus and Alipio Libres approved and adopted the resolution as Resolution #656 on May 19, 1923. Said resolution was endorsed to the National Government for funds.

On Oct. 18, 1929, the BOHOL PROVINCIAL HOSPITAL was officially opened during the term of Gov. Filomeno Caseñas and Board Members Pablo Maceren and Aurelio Bendijo. The building was as big as a two-classroom one-storey building. The first Chief of the Hospital was Dr. Victor Abastillas from 1929-1933.

In 1934, the Second Chief of Hospital, Dr. Ciriaco Bagabaldo, recommended the expansion of the hospital building to Gov. Celestino Gallares and Board Members Bernardino Inting and Juan Pajo. They appropriated funds for the construction of an additional two-storey main building and medical facilities.

During the Second World War. The Bohol Provincial Hospital was occupied by the Japanese Imperial Army. This opted the hospital staff to operate an emergency hospital in Carmen, Bohol. After WW II, the US Army rehabilitated and occupied the hospital. They made major improvements like repair of the sewerage system, installed electricity, built concrete water tank, remodeled the Nurses’ quarters, and fenced the area of almost a hectare. The third Chief of the Hospital was Dr. Panfilo Lejano, from 1937 to 1946 . The fourth Chief of the Hospital was Dr. Pedro Mayuga, from 1947 to 1956.

In 1949, an x-ray department was installed. On May 12, 1950, a 15-bed capacity building named as the Medical and Communicable Disease Pavilion was constructed.

The fifth Chief of the Hospital was Dr. Delfin Ordoñez, from 1957 to 1960 .

On Jan. 16, 1960, the Nurses’ Home Building was inaugurated at the cost of P72,000.00 donated by Phil. Charity Sweepstakes Office and pork barrel funds of Congressmen Natalio Castillo, Bartolome Cabangbang, and Esteban Bernido.

In 1961 to 1979, the sixth Chief of Hospital, DR. JESUS CEBALLOS made some notable changes;

1) The School of Nursing building was constructed with the support of the former First Lady, Mrs. Leonila Garcia and the Provincial Board. The building was donated by the PCSO funds costing P84,000.00;

2) The construction of the hospital dining hall and kitchen, male quarters, property section and laundry, OPD, morgue, tennis court, medical records and school’s water reservoir;

3) Ob-Gyne and Delivery room, Pedia building, Pharmacy, left wing of the main building first and second floors, Nursing Service Office, Medical Library, Administrative Business Office, Office of the Chief of Hospital, Guard Post, Water Reservoir of the hospital, cementing of the “Moonlit Square”, hospital quadrangle were constructed.

On July 1, 1973, the hospital was designated as the Regional Hospital of Central Visayas. At the same time designated as a Teaching-Training Hospital under Regional Health Office VII, Ministry of Health per AO 83 series of 1980.

In December 1982, the hospital was awarded as the Most Outstanding Tertiary Hospital in Region VII.

On April 6, 1984, the hospital was renamed to Gov. Celestino Gallares Memorial Hospital (GCGMH) per Batas Pambansa Bilang 640 sponsored by Assemblyman Bartolome Cabangbang in appropriate ceremonies attended by Honorable Secretary of Health, Jesus Azurin.

In May 1985, the School of Nursing was phased out and in 1992, the hospital was awarded as Mother-Friendly Hospital by DOH and UNICEF.