The idea of establishing, operating and maintaining in Bohol a charitable institution for the treatment, confinement and care of patients especially the poor, was hatched in an assembly of municipal mayors of bohol in the year 1922. A resolution was passed by the assembly and was approved by the Provincial Board on May 19, 1923.
A concrete plan was charted for the acquisition of a suitable hospital site, raising funds to finance the cost of the lot, construction of buildings, purchase of equipment, medicines, medical and surgical supplies, foods, maintenance of personnel and all other indispensable needs for the normal operation and functions of the hospital.
The Bohol Provincial Hospital was constructed under Act No. 3114 as amended by Act No. 3168. The construction of the hospital was started during the term of Gov. Juan S. Torralba and was officially opened on October 19, 1929 as per Board Resolution No. 1715 during the term of Gov. Filomeno Caseñas with eight (8) bed capacity.